So, I’ve graduated with a B.A. in English from Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey. I’m done with that phase of my life. I’m officially a university graduate. Now starts my “Year of Me” phase.
This phase of my life is mainly about regrouping. I’m back home (Kuwait) after being away for four years. I’m with my family. I’m feeling the love, the comfort and the home-cooked meals (yum!). But it’s also about taking a breather on the academics and taking some “Me Time”. I have a few goals set for this year:
- I’m going to start taking care of my body. Start exercising and losing all the weight I gained while at college. I’m aiming to be healthy because God knows the “College Diet” didn’t do any favors to my mid-section and hips/thighs. I seriously believe that all my anger issues, my “blue” days and all the other crappy feelings I get is due to my inactivity. I think exercise will be the perfect stress reliever for me. I know it’s not something new: DUH! Exercise is known to release stress. But this might sound stupid, but I HATE sweating. I loathe it and avoid it as much as possible, and so I LOVE swimming. The problem is, I don’t feel comfortable being half naked in front of guys, so now that I’m home, I’m signing up for an all girls gym that has one of the most kick-ass swimming pools I have ever seen in my life. So, yeah: Losing Weight and becoming an all round happier person. I’ve always hated my body and this is my time to change that. I want my confidence back. I’m only 22 for God’s sake. I wanna look hot!
- Aside from losing weight, I also want to take better care of my appearance. This means: new haircut; add a little colour to my dark black hair; new clothes. And just making myself feel better about myself. I need to get that long lost confidence back and that includes all this stuff (I’m actually going in tomorrow to get my hair permanently straightened since my hair naturally is a mess of curls that I cannot control at all).
- Eating healthy is also a big thing I’ll be focusing on. When at college, I barely ate one meal a day and that one meal ended up being a sandwich from the deli or a burger or some other crap that’s horrible for the body. I’m going back to eating three meals a day with little snacks in between to start my metabolism working properly again. All my food will be homemade and healthy. And I gotta say, my mum’s cooking is amazing and it’s one of the things I miss the most when in US. So this point isn’t really a hardship. It’s amazing. And yummy.
- I’m applying for 2 jobs: Working as a TA at AUK (American University of Kuwait); and Bazaar Magazine (which is one of the English student magazine in Kuwait, and I want to right the Book Review section of the Magazine). Of course, I haven’t applied yet since I’ve only been home for about 6 days. Still settling down and getting into the groove of things (I still don’t have a cellphone). But that’s my goal. Work is important for me. When I was staying in the US, I earned my own money and I liked having not to be dependent on my parents, not because they wouldn’t buy me anything I want, but because I loved feeling like less of a burden. I liked being my own person. Earning your own money is awesome and I can’t see myself going back to being dependent on my parents giving me an allowance every month. I love working for my things.
- I’m going to read more. Well, more than usual. As an English Major, I’ve read my share of books this past four years and i’ve been introduced to a lot of new authors and types of writing that I couldn’t really explore on my own because I have to focus so much of my time of school readings and assignments. But this year is my year of exploring on my own. No pressure. No essays. No deadlines. It’s going to be a breath of fresh air after four years of analyzing everything I read (I still do it - I can’t help it. It’s like Rutgers programmed my brain to think like that!).
- I’m definitely going to write more. I love writing - I might not be very good at it, but I love it. It’s something I do for fun. With the amount of reading I do, it’s no surprise that my own mind forms its own characters and plots and demands to be written (or typed) out. I really haven’t stopped writing since starting college because sometimes I go insane with characters and scenes in my head that nags be until I DO write it down, so I’ve done SOME writing, but it was mostly to shut the voices up. But now that I have the time, I’m going to try to finish off some of the stories I started but never got the time to finish.
- I’m also going to start drawing again. It’s something that I haven’t done at all this semester because I had an insane class load (work wise) and I miss holding a pencil and colours and making something beautiful on a blank white sheet. My parents certainly miss my drawing. So, there’s that.
So, yeah. As of now, these are the things I promised myself I would be doing on my year off. Having focused on nothing but school and my grades for four years, I neglected myself a LOT! And this is my time to get back on track. And of course the final thing I will be doing is applying to Grad School because after this year is over, I’m going to get my Masters and PhD in English Literature (not sure in what focus though at the moment. I need to do some research).
I’m seriously looking forward to this year back home. And I can’t believe I’ve graduated!! Class of 2013!!